Mio Products Frequently Asked Questions
MIO Products Frequently Asked QuestionsHere are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about MIO.
- How do I take my heart rate with MIO?
- Is MIO an accurate heart rate monitor?
- Does MIO give a continuous heart rate display?
- Other than heart rate monitoring, what other functions can MIO perform?
- What is percent of maximum heart rate?
- How does MIO calculate the number of calories burned during a workout?
- How do I set up my MIO so that it stores my personal data?
- How will I know if MIO will fit my wrist?
- Are there certain people, for example those with irregular heartbeats or pacemakers, who won't be able to use MIO's heart rate function?
- Does MIO Ultimate come with a chest strap?
- What chest straps does the MIO Ultimate work with?
- Why can't I get a reading on the MIO Ultimate with my chest strap?
For other frequently asked questions please see:
In addition, please contact MIO's customer service team at 1-877-566-4636 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Is MIO an accurate heart rate monitor?
1. How do I take my heart rate with MIO?
It's simple and easy to get your heart rate reading with MIO. Unlike most other heart rate monitors, MIO does not require you to use a cumbersome chest strap. With MIO - all you need to wear is the watch to get your heart rate. MIO reads your heart rate through sensors on the back and front of the watch. To read your heart rate, ensure that the watch is fastened firm against your skin and simply place your index and middle finger on the MIO sensors on the face of the watch. Gently depress and within seconds your ECG accurate heart rate will be displayed. Release and repeat to get another reading.
MIO displays your accurate ECG heart rate reading. MIO's accuracy has been certified by University studies. MIO reads your electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) signal; this is the medically accepted way to measure your heart rate. Some other products measure only pulse rate which is not an accurate measure of heart rate. You can be confident that with MIO you are getting accurate heart rate readings.
3. Does MIO give a continuous heart rate display?
MIO does not give a continuous display. Whenever you want to view your heart rate, simply depress the sensors and the value will be displayed within seconds. Release and repeat. Even if you keep your fingers on the sensors, you will not get a continuous reading.
4. Other than heart rate monitoring, what other functions can MIO perform?
There are several different MIO models and each model has a different set of features designed to enhance your lifestyle activity of choice. All MIO watches take your ECG accurate heart rate without a chest strap and all MIO watches display percent of maximum heart rate. Some MIO watches allow you to manage your weight with calorie intake monitoring. Some MIO watches use your personal data to calculate your calorie burn during a workout. Some MIO watches feature interchangeable color straps. To find out which MIO is right for you please view the MioLIFESTYLE product page.
5. What is percent of maximum heart rate?
To work out efficiently and maximize the results of your fitness program, you want to monitor your heart to ensure that you are working out at an appropriate level of maximum heart rate.
Your heart has a theoretical maximal value at which during extreme exertion, you approach physical exhaustion. Coming too close to this value is dangerous for those at risk for heart attacks. Percent of max heart rate tells you how close you are to your maximal value. For most people, exercising within a range between 55 % and 75% of maximum heart rate will yield the greatest benefit. MIO calculates your percent of maximum heart rate based on the personal data you enter into the watch and displays your personal percent of maximum heart rate every time you take your heart rate reading.
6. How does MIO calculate the number of calories burned during a workout?
MIO Shape, Shape Select & Petite, MIO Sport, Sport Select & Petite, MIO Ultimate and MIO Zone Plus will calculate the number of calories burned during a workout. This is calculated using your personal statistics (age, weight and gender), the length of your workout and the level of exertion (elevated heart rate.) To get a reliable calorie tally be sure to program the watch with your personal data and take frequent heart rate readings during your workout. MIO watches are not designed to calculate your calorie burn at rest; the calorie burn function is designed to be used when your heart rate is elevated by physical exercise.
7. How do I set up my MIO so that it stores my personal data?
Each MIO comes with a very detailed and straightforward illustrated instruction guide. By following the simple steps in the guide, you will be able to enter in your personal data into the watch in just minutes. It is as simple as setting the time! Each MIO stores your birth date, gender and weight.
8. How will I know if MIO will fit my wrist?
The standard MIO wrist band length is 9 inches from strap to buckle. This means MIO watches will easily fit wrist sizes up to 8 inches in circumference. MIO Shape Select Petite and MIO Sport Select Petite are designed specifically for smaller wrists. PETITE will fit wrist sizes 6 3/4 inches and below.
9. Are there certain people, for example those with irregular heartbeats or pacemakers, who won't be able to use MIO's heart rate function?
People who wear continuous pacemakers and people with irregular heartbeats/arrhythmia may not be able to use MIO. This is because MIO needs to read up to four consistent heartbeats over a short period of time in order to give an accurate reading. If you think you fall into one of the above categories, we invite you to contact our customer service department at 1-877-566-4636 or by email at email@example.com to see if MIO would be an appropriate tool for you.
If you have a heart condition or take beta-blocking medication please consult with your physician before engaging in a fitness program that utilizes heart rate monitoring.
10. Does MIO Ultimate come with a chest strap?
No, MIO Ultimate does not come with a chest strap. MIO Ultimate is designed specifically for heart rate monitor users who already own a compatible chest strap.
11. What chest straps does the MIO Ultimate work with?
MIO Ultimate will work with most analog non-coded chest straps, which are commonly included with most home exercise equipment. Its technology does not however support digital, coded or wear-link straps.
12. Why can't I get a reading on the MIO Ultimate with my chest strap??
Make sure you are using a compatible chest strap with MIO Ultimate (see question 11 above). Please refer to the instructions that came with your chest strap to make sure it has battery power and that it is properly positioned. You may want to moisten your chest strap to improve transmission.