Powerlung - Use of the product.
PowerLung Frequently Asked Questions.Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions on the use of PowerLung.
- How much time should I spend training with PowerLung?
- Can I use my PowerLung as a respiratory warm-up machine?
- Should I use PowerLung while exercising?
- Can I use PowerLung when I'm injured?
- Can my family or team share a PowerLung?
- Can you adjust the level of resistance for both inhaling and exhaling?
- How often should I increase the resistance load cells?
- I aqua jog twice a week. Can I use PowerLung to intensify my respiratory work load?
- How long should I continue the 3 x 10 x 2 Program?
- Is it necessary to disassemble PowerLung for cleaning?
1. How much time should I spend training with PowerLung?
To achieve maximum results, follow the instructions for the 3 x 10 x 2 Program in your PowerLung User Guide. This program normally takes about 3 minutes each time.
Once you have customized the PowerLung Inhale Threshold Control and Exhale Threshold Control to math your personal abilities and goals, begin the 3 x 10 x 2 Program. This program is designed for you to take 3 sets of 10 breaths 2 times a day. That is a total of 30 breaths. Don't forget, you can use your PowerLung to warm up before any activity, exercise or competition.
2. Can I use my PowerLung as a respiratory warm-up machine?
Using PowerLung before you exercise or race is an excellent way to warm-up and stretch your lung muscles. Set PowerLung on a resistance setting much lower than you normally use and do 3 reps of 10 breaths each, with a one minute break between reps.
3. Should I use PowerLung while exercising?
No. You should be at a standstill during the 3 x 10 x 2 Program, to obtain the most effective specific respiratory muscle training.
4. Can I use PowerLung when I'm injured?
If you are unable to workout or perform in sport activities due to a non-respiratory injury, PowerLung is an excellent way to maintain top condition of your respiratory system, as you recover. Maintaining top respiratory strength allows you to return to your training at a higher intensity level after injury.
5. Can my family or team share a PowerLung?
Other people should not use your PowerLung, for health reasons, just as your family or team would not use one drinking glass or toothbrush.
6. Can you adjust the level of resistance for both inhaling and exhaling?
PowerLung is the only machine that has independently adjustable resistance-load cells designed for the user to set the resistance. Other lung muscle trainers concentrate on only inhaling or use an uncontrolled flow. Recent studies prove that isolated threshold resistance training for both inhaling and exhaling can improve the efficiency and power of your muscles.
7. How often should I increase the resistance load cells?
Increase the load on either load cell (inhale or exhale) when breathing at the present setting is no longer demanding training.
Like any strength training program, when the exercise becomes easy, add more resistance (load). To increase the resistance, turn the control 1/8 of a turn, for either inhale or exhale. Remember, it will seldom be necessary to adjust inhale and exhale controls at the same time because they are independently adjustable.
8. I aqua jog twice a week. Can I use PowerLung to intensify my respiratory work load?
You can use PowerLung everyday to intensify your respiratory work load. If you use it before aqua jogging, as a warm-up, adjust the setting below what is normal.
9. How long should I continue the 3 x 10 x 2 Program?
You will begin to notice a difference in just a few days and measurable improvement in two weeks. However, when you quit training a muscle, it atrophies and weakens. The same principles apply to the breathing muscles. It is use it or lose it. As noted in the instructions, if you have reached a maximum training plateau, it may be time to begin a maintenance routine. To maintain the strength you have gained you must continue to train your breathing muscles.
10. Is it necessary to disassemble PowerLung for cleaning?
No, PowerLung is a unit with one removable component, the mouthpiece. It is removable, for washing. REMEMBER: PowerLung is not microwave or dishwasher safe.